Wednesday, April 18, 2012

"My Space Book: What I Learned"



This year we created a "My Planets Book" that our first graders used during journal writing to record what they learned about each planet.  After listening to different books about the planets, we had them write the facts they remembered and also draw a picture of each planet.  We wrote the facts down on sticky notes and displayed them on a planets anchor chart.  Sometimes we had them write their own facts independently using the fact journal sheets first and other times we had them generate the facts together as a class first and the teacher wrote them on the sticky notes.

Here is a picture of the pretty basic page we whipped up during our Space unit.  The kids drew a picture of the planets at the bottom and wrote on the top.  (All the planets pretty much looked alike...so knew I wanted to revamp so they took a little more time with coloring it how the planet actually looked.)


I decided to use my Space Doodles clip art and revamp it into a "My Space Book:  What I Learned" so that students have a place to record everything they learned throughout the unit.  This year, we kept the fact generating to just the planets, but next year we hope to discuss and respond about other things they learned about space.  My son came home with his "Planets Book" and had to read to me all the things he learned about in Christine's class.  So...I thought...if he loved it so much, why not extend their learning a bit and dig a little deeper into other space concepts?

Here is the updated version in our "My Space Book".  Now students will focus on writing the facts and then color the planet to match its colors they see on the covers of the planets read aloud books we use.

The "My Space Book:  What I Learned" book includes facts sheets for:  Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto, Sun, moon, star, galaxy, universe, astronaut, astronomer, solar system, asteroid, and comet.

If you'd like to purchase this book you can find it at our TPT store HERE.

Here is the "My Space Book:  What I Learned" book:
If you'd like to puchase the Space Doodles clip art you can find it at our TPT store, Carrie's Etsy shop, or Clip Art by Carrie on Teacher's Notebook.

Here is the cover of the Pebble Plus book "Mercury" that we read aloud to students. It is an awesome series of books that teaches about each planet in "first grade language".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...